Monday, October 3, 2011

Hebrew 12:2

"...looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."

And so begins my journey. Today, or officially yesterday, October 2, 2011, I committed to begin a search, a journal, of sorts ... to make tangible my study of God's word.

It was late this afternoon, I could see it clearly: each day, I would compose short sermonettes (wrong word that, however, describes precisely the idea I had in mind). A sermonette in name only ... never to be "preached aloud" by anyone - for the sole purpose of my own edification and learning.

Maybe a paragraph or two minimum daily will result in keeping my mind "on things above".
That's the goal - that I may, over time, become so completely obsessed with the mind of God.

... so, it was this afternoon that our preacher, Jonathan Morris, preaching on the singular topic of books, brought our attention to an Ephesian passage. Paul's words jumped off the page to me! It's as if I was reading the latter half of the 3rd chapter for the first time in my life -

V. 14 " ... For this cause, I bow my knees to my Lord Jesus Christ ...". reminded me of this Phillipian passage where 'every knee shall bow'.

V. 15 "Of whom the whole family of heaven and earth is named.". Surely, we are! Where has this little verse been hiding?

V. 16 "That He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened by might by His spirit in the inner man.". Whoa! Read that again, slowly. And in context. Remember, Paul is on bended knee, evidently entreating God on behalf of these Ephesian Christians (and hence, us, too!) to strenghthen them (/us) by His Spirit ... in the inner man!".

No comments:

Post a Comment